A so-called hoverboard (they don’t actually hover) was the cause of a Nashville home fire this January.
You’ve probably seen them around town; they’re like Segways without handlebars. It’s been well-documented that the machines are generally poor quality and frequently catch on fire (due to poorly-constructed lithium batteries).
Nashville Fire Chief Rick White told The Tennessean,
We are fortunate that there were only minor injuries in what was an extremely dangerous fire. We hope Nashvillians use extreme caution before purchasing or using these hoverboards.
The Tennessean has the whole story about the family’s harrowing experience of losing their home and fearing they would lose two of their children after a combusting hoverboard.